Skip to main content
A project of the American Research Center in Egypt
About the image
Entrance to QV16
More Details

Entryway A

See entire tomb

A steep, rough Ramp that is orientated roughly north-south and leads to a small, elongated chamber.

Architectural Features



Cutting finished
Flood Damage

Chamber B

See entire tomb

Large, undecorated chamber, perpendicular to the rough passage leading to QV 15.


Cutting finished



QV 16 lies on the south side of the main Wadi, on the upper slope of a small ridge. QV 15 and 16 are connected by a long passage, creating one large continuous subterranean space. QV 16 is the smaller of the two with two consecutive chambers (B and Ba) set perpendicularly to the connecting passage. The tomb is accessible through a steep, rough Ramp (A). The entrance does not have a modern masonry surround.

The tomb dates to the 18th Dynasty and as with other tombs from this period, is undecorated. Elizabeth Thomas (1959-60) considered both tombs to be "tandem" in their layout, indicating that consecutive chambers make up the tomb. She notes the presence of small pits 2m deep in both tombs. Thomas suggests that these tombs may have been examined by Schiaparelli (1903-1905), since the fill is more irregular than usual, with at least one apparent localized excavation. The tomb was excavated by the Franco-Egyptian Mission in 1985-86 and was last cleared by the CNRS in 2008.

Noteworthy features:

QV 15 and 16 are connected by a long passage, creating one large continuous subterranean space.

Site History

The tomb was constructed in the 18th Dynasty and based on archaeological material recovered during the Franco-Egyptian Mission's excavations, was reused during the Late Period and Roman Period. 


This site was used during the following period(s):

New Kingdom
Dynasty 18
Late Period
Graeco-Roman Era
Roman Period


1903 (?): Excavation
Italian Archaeological Expedition
1959-1960: Documentation
Thomas, Elizabeth
1981: Mapping/planning
Theban Mapping Project
1985-1986: Publication, Conservation, Excavation
Franco Egyptian Mission
2006-2008: Survey and Documentation
Getty Conservation Institute (GCI) and the Supreme Council of Antiquities (SCA)
2008: Tomb clearance
Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique (CNRS)


Conservation History

According to the GCI-SCA, previous efforts include stabilizing loose rock with mortar, particularly around the entrance of QV 16.

Site Condition

According to the GCI-SCA, as evident from the exterior of QV 16, the tomb is cut into differing marl types. The entrance is cut into shale lying below a bed of highly fractured, less clay-rich marl. On the interior of the tomb, both rock types are visible. Fracturing of the ceiling and localized rock loss are evident throughout the tomb. Blackening of some of the rock surface is also present. Trash littered the chamber floor. Bat droppings are visible throughout the tomb. The inherent weakness of the rock and its susceptibility to moisture have led to rock fracturing and localized loss. Blackening of the rock surface was presumably caused by fire.


Geography and Geology of the Valley of the Queens and Western Wadis

The Valley of the Queens and the Western Wadis are made up of numerous valleys spread out over a vast space of desert, each containing tombs for the New Kingdom queens and other royal family members. The poor quality rock has led to damage in several tombs after suffering from earthquakes and floods.


CNRS mission report: Centre national de la recherche scientifique (France). Rapport d'activité 1987-1988 URA no. 1064, 1987-1988.

Demas, Martha and Neville Agnew (eds). Valley of the Queens. Assessment Report. Los Angeles: The Getty Conservation Institute, 2012, 2016. Two vols.

Macke, André, Christiane Macke-Ribet, Christian Leblanc, and Jacques Connan. Ta set neferou: une necropole de Thebes-Ouest et son histoire: momification, chimie des baumes, anthropologie, paléopathologie. Vol. 5. Cairo: Nubar Printing House, 2002.