A steep Ramp with traces of Steps along the ramp walls leads into an unfinished chamber. The TMP plan includes the presence of a modern curb at the beginning of the ramp that has since been removed. The tomb was damaged during the flood in 1994 and the rock surrounding its entrance continues to erode. There is no shaft cover or door preventing access to the tomb.
This unfinished chamber lies on axis with the tomb's entrance. Debris caked to the ceiling of this chamber suggests that this unfinished tomb is periodically filled with flood waters and runoff. The relative instability of the rock into which the tomb is cut is presumably the reason for its abandonment.
QV 57 was noted by Heinrich Brugch in 1854. The TMP (1981) section drawing includes a modern curb at the beginning of the ramp (A), which has since been removed. The tomb was last cleared out by the Franco-Egyptian Mission in 1987 and was dated to the reign of Rameses I.
This site was used during the following period(s):
QV 57 was damaged during the flood in 1994. According to the GCI-SCA, the tomb is in a stable condition, though the fan conglomerate surrounding its entrance continues to erode. Nevertheless, debris caked to the ceiling of chamber (B) suggests that this unfinished tomb is periodically filled with flood waters and runoff. The relative instability of the fan conglomerate, presumably the reason that the tomb was not finished, remains the primary source for eroded material filling the tomb. This, as well as the tomb’s close proximity to the main drainage channel and its exposure to flood water, are the principal causes of the poor condition of this unfinished tomb.
Brugsch, Heinrich Karl. Recueil de monuments égyptiens dessinés sur lieux et publiés sous les auspices de Son Altesse le vice-roi d'Égypte Mohammed-Saïd-Pasha par le docteur Henri Brugsch. Leipzig: J.C. Hinrichs'sche Buchhandlung, 1862-1885.
Leblanc, Christian. Ta set nefrou: une nécropole de Thèbes-ouest et son histoire, 1: géographie- toponymie: historique de l'exploration scientifique du site. Cairo: Nubar Printing House, 1989.