An unusually elongated, rectangular burial chamber that is undecorated. The walls and ceiling have eroded and the exact dimensions of the chamber is obscured by debris.
Relationship to main tomb axis:Parallel
Chamber layout:Flat floor, no pillars
Wadi 1-b is located in Wadi 1, so named after the ‘1’ on Howard Carter’s survey map of the Western Wadis. It consists of a shaft entrance (A) leading down to an elongated, undecorated burial chamber (B). The owner of the tomb is unknown.
Although noted by Carter during his survey of the Western Wadis in 1916-1917, Wadi 1-b was first mapped and studied by Elizabeth Thomas in 1959-1960. Thomas records that the post-burial stone chips of the tomb lay intact nearby and that fragments of blue painted ware (pottery) typical of the reigns of Amenhetep III to Akhenaten lay scattered around the shaft for several meters. Fragments of red, ridged coptic ware were also apparent. The latter was unsurprising as several coptic dwelling remains were noted earlier in the wadi by both Howard Carter and Herbet Winlock. Wadi 1-b was last surveyed in 1982 by the Theban Mapping Project and has been dated to the 18th Dynasty.
The tomb was constructed in the 18th Dynasty and emptied at a later, unknown period. Coptic materials have been noted near the tomb entrance.
This site was used during the following period(s):
Wadi 1-b is cut into conglomerate and the shaft entrance has a built dry wall on its northern side. The shaft entrance has eroded, as with other shaft tombs in the western wadis, and this may be due to water inflitration. The ceiling of the burial chamber has also suffered erosion.