QV 49 is located at the Y-junction of the main and south wadis. It has a steep Ramp (A) with rough-hewn Steps and entryway with low ceiling. Tomb excavation was abandoned after the entryway was cut. The chamber of QV 50 connects with QV 49 on the east side through a small opening. Presumably the later construction of QV 50 was abandoned after this unintentional connection was made.
QV 49 was noted by John Gardner Wilkinson (1828) and Heinrich Karl Brugsch (1854). Elizabeth Thomas indicated that at the time of her visit, plaster was apparent on the top two-thirds of the entryway lintel where she found a graffito of a modern traveler. There is no record of the recent clearance of the tomb. According to Christian Leblanc, the date of construction of QV 49 is the early 19th Dynasty.
This site was used during the following period(s):
According to the GCI-SCA, though highly fractured, QV 49 appears in stable condition. Elizabeth Thomas indicated that at the time of her visit, plaster was apparent on the top two-thirds of entryway lintel where she found a graffito of a modern traveler. The plaster was also observed by the GCI-SCA assessment team, though not the graffito. The inherent quality of the rock and the presence of salts, particularly as veins within the rock, are the primary cause of rock fracturing and detachment in this tomb. Exposure to moisture has and will continue to exacerbate these weaknesses in the rock.
Brugsch, Heinrich Karl. Reiseberichte aus Aegypten. Leipzig: F.A. Brockhaus, 1855.