The gate is undecorated and leads into corridor C. The soffit is level. The Theban Mapping Project could not survey this tomb, but it seems likely that the steps of corridor C begin in this gateway.
Orientation:0° from corridor B
The steep stairwell descends to gate D, ending in a short, flat landing in front of the gate. Large rectangular recesses stretch the length of the right (north) and left (south) walls at the top of the stairwell.
Orientation:0° from corridor B
The soffit begins as a flat surface but then slopes down to the rear. There is a step down from the landing to the flat threshold.
Orientation:0° from stairwell C
The gate leads into the burial chamber and has a flat soffit and threshold. Traces of dried mud patches have been found on the jamb, indicating that this part of the tomb was blocked and sealed.
Orientation:0° from corridor D
The burial chamber is rectangular and a single pillar stands in its center. Two steps lead down from the gate to the floor. A chamber-length recess is cut in the right (north) wall. A gate to a side chamber is cut in the right (south) end of the front (east) wall. Ryan found small stones, bits of human and animal mummies, pottery sherds, wood fragments and other fragmentary artifacts scattered on the floor.
Relationship to main tomb axis:Perpendicular
Chamber layout:Flat floor, pillars
Orientation:90° left from corridor D
Number of pillars:1
Average pillar width:1.05 m
The floor of the small side chamber is half a meter higher than the burial chamber floor. On the ceiling is a graffito exclaiming, "Me! 1826." Numerous large pots that filled the chamber were smashed, perhaps by vandals. Embalming materials, natron, linen wrappings and a large lidded jar were also found in the chamber.
Orientation:90° left from burial chamber J
Modern European language text:"ME! 1826" Ceiling
The tomb is located in the southeast branch off the main wadi, north of KV 19. It is a small, undecorated tomb, well cut with smoothed walls. The walls and ceiling bear red and black mason's marks. It lies on an east-west axis and consists of an entryway and two sloping corridors (B, D) with a stairwell (C) between them. The second corridor leads to a burial chamber (J) with a central pillar and a side chamber (Ja). There is a recess along the right (north) side of the burial chamber.
The tomb is an example of burials of Dynasty 18 royal family members. Burial chamber J has two noteworthy features: a chamber-length recess and a single central pillar.
It has been suggested that the tomb was a queen's burial. Two female mummies were found, with their left arm crossed on their chest, a pose only used for queens. Vandals entered the tomb after its discovery in 1817, broke up the mummies, hauled them up to the first corridor B, and shattered some large white pots.
This site was used during the following period(s):
In 1990 a security gate was installed and to protect the bedrock during clearing, wooden steps were added. The mummies were reassembled and returned to the burial chamber in a specially constructed case.
The tomb suffered damage only after its modern discovery. Burton referred to it as a "clean new tomb" which had escaped even water damage. The second opening of the tomb in 1989, however, revealed that the tomb had suffered flood damage and was filling with silt debris. Standing water damaged artifacts in the burial chamber as well as mummies which had been ravaged by vandals following the tomb's initial opening in 1817.
Ryan, Donald P. Exploring the Valley of the Kings. Archaeology 47, 1 (1994): 52-61.
Thomas, Elizabeth. The Royal Necropoleis of Thebes. Princeton: privately printed, 1966. P. 139.
Weeks, Kent R. (ed.). Atlas of the Valley of the Kings (= Publications of the Theban Mapping Project. Cairo: American University in Cairo, 1). Cairo: American University in Cairo Press, 2000. Map sheet 41.
Wilkinson, Richard H. and Carl Nicholas Reeves. The Complete Valley of the Kings. London: Thames and Hudson, 1996. P. 115.